Jackson Street Methodist Church, Magnolia, Arkansas

stained-glass-1.JPG stained-glass-2.JPG

One of the places I went during our prolonged blog silence was a field trip to UT-Galveston Medical Branch. (Umm. Before Ike. Right after Dolly.) My dad and his brothers (and their father) all have (or had, in the case of Poppaw) a spinocerebellar ataxia that hasn’t matched anyone else’s ataxia genes as of yet, so we went to visit my uncle’s neurologist. The neurologist was not as helpful as we had hoped, but the visit was great. (A lot of driving, however, from Fayetteville AR to College Station TX and thence to Galveston. And back.) We had creamed corn, purple hull peas, corn bread, two desserts, and some sort of meat, along with great company for dinner. And more great company when we visited my Houston cousin and her son. (Memory fades on the details.) My uncle called dinner a Floy meal, and he was right.


(Lisa, The Uncles and my mom)

We left, however, with a small mystery. One of the two stained glass windows (above) at my uncle’s house is from the Jackson Street Methodist Church in Magnolia AR. The other is not. None of us are sure which one it is. (My folks bought it for my grandmother long after the church was replaced by Asbury UMC.) So, I’ll need to share this post with my cousin who remembers more than I do, and who has cleaned that window more than I have. I have a feeling I know the answer, but I don’t want to bias her.

Share on Facebook

4 Responses to “Jackson Street Methodist Church, Magnolia, Arkansas”

  1. Jeanie Bismark says:

    The window in the light wood is from Jackson Street Methodist Church. I have a similar one. I don’t know where the other one is from. Jeanie

  2. Lisa says:

    That’s exactly opposite what I was guessing. The other one is from some antique shop or flea market Aunt Shirley visited.

  3. Laurie says:

    I’m going with the one on the left. Definitely. Didn’t have to look twice. Dusting anything on a weekly basis will create such certainty ;)

    I’ve been living in E. Hartford, renting a room from my friend, Sue. I’m in the middle of moving in with my friend, Tim, who has advanced Frankenberg’s ataxia – 3 of the 7 adult children in his family are in wheelchairs due to this condition, whose onset is in adulthood.

    I’m his primary caregiver – about 25 hrs a week – and it’s a 20 minute drive to my “real” full-time job at Comcast. Yes, I’m paid for being Tim’s caregiver, and there are others who complete his other 37 hours a week of helping, so I do have Laurie time. The dogs are in Waterford with George, since I couldn’t possibly have them in handicapped housing. I try to see the doggies twice a week, and I miss them, but for now that’s going to have to do.

    When I befriended Tim, I didn’t know it was going to turn into a change of residence or a paying job, and it’s a very positive, relaxing experience. Did I mention sincere appreciation and lots of “thank you’s”? Those are worth their weight in gold.

    His mother gave me a claddaugh ring and thanked me for befriending her son, and not treating him like he was an oddity. I told her I’d have to credit my Nanny Childs for my perception of people with handicaps, since she had insisted that I write pen pal letters to Aunt Holly’s sister, Betsy, when I was a child, and explained to me that while Betsy couldn’t respond, she would surely appreciate that I had written her a letter, and needed to be treated like any other person. I think that lesson “took”.

    Shortly after that, Tim’s mom informed me that he needed a primary caregiver, since he is totally wheelchair dependent and has problems performing even the simplest self-care tasks. She was in the beginning stages of hiring help – she and Tim would be choosing the helpers, as opposed to the agency which has been providing his helpers, and the state pays. She liked the way I made Tim feel comfortable, and the fact that he likes my cooking. (I think the guy would eat styrofoam if it were served with a smile!)

    I was in the E.R. all day a couple of weeks ago with atrial fibrillation. Thankfully, Eric and Stephanie had spent the night, and they took me to the E.R. and stayed with me. I experienced the joy of cardiovert – probably a good thing they gave me benedryl first, so I was too sleepy to be anxious! The E.R. cardiologist suggested I seem to be quite stressed. Not an epiphany! She put me on metoprolol tartrate, and I have a consultation with Tim’s cardiologist on the 14th. (Tim’s mother is a RN who still teaches nursing, so I’m comfortable with her assessment of said cardiologist.)

    I have an initial appointment with a cardiologist in Hamden on the 14th of this month, and am certain I will be told to lose the NEXT 40 lbs (having lost the first 40 over the last 10 months), and then to lessen the stress in my life. The latter is going to be more difficult than losing more weight.

    If all goes well, I will be reducing my hours at Comcast to probably 32 a week, since I believe I can still get benefits at that level, as well as free cable/phone/internet, once I start being paid for helping Tim (right now I do it just because I want to, but should start getting paid for it by November, I think.)

    I’m off to move more junk from Sue’s to storage. I’m so proud of myself, having donated five 30-gallon garbage bags of “stuff” yesterday rather than move and store ‘em!

    Much love,

  4. Janet Dickinson says:

    I think the one on the left is from Jackson Street. I started going to that church when i was 4 years old and was there until the church relocated as Asbury United Methodist Church, I think in 1968. It somehow fits my memory of all the beautiful stained glass windows throughout the church. But I could be wrong.

Leave a Reply